The Parables of Jesus (My Beloved Son)
In this course we will discover why the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” We will look at why He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables, ‘because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.’” – Matthew 13:10-13
All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: “I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN PARABLES; I WILL UTTER THINGS KEPT SECRET FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.” -Matthew 13:34-35
During His earthly ministry, as Jesus went about preaching and teaching, He frequently used parables – see Matthew 13:1-3, 13:34-35. It has been estimated that at least one-third of Jesus’ recorded teaching is found in the parables. So why did Jesus use parables?
In Course 111: The Parables of Jesus we will discuss the answer to that question and many others in this course.
- A parable may be defined as a simple story that illustrates a profound truth
- Telling parables was Jesus’ main way of helping His followers grasp spiritual truths
- He was building a bridge from the natural to the spiritual
- It was Jesus’ way of helping people to make the transition that each of us must make every day of our life – to move from the natural level of life to the spiritual level of life
- Jesus revealed these insights through parables so that those for whom the truth was intended might know the meaning, but for those whom it was not intended would not understand
To understand further Jesus’ reason for teaching in parables, we will look at:
- The purpose of the parables
- The promise of the parables
- The paradox of the parables
- Three principles of the parables