One of my favorite verses found in scripture that has helped me get through many situations in my life is Philippians 4:8
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate [THINK] on these things.”
Meditate on these things.
Your Bible version may say “think on these things”.
In other words, order your thoughts in the right direction.
Colossians 3:2 says:
“Set your mind on things above, not on things of the earth”
What we typically think of when we read this passage is that it has to do with either:
- the second coming of the Lord
- what’s going on in heaven
- or it has something to do ‘End Time events’.
But the reality of it is; that ‘setting your mind on things above’ is not just End Time events.
That’s the conclusion of a whole process that we need to be going through.
We have to set our mind on things above, meaning;
- We have to think about things that happen to us the way that heaven thinks about things that happen to us.
- What is happening in heaven when this particular event is going on in our lives?
When we go through pain and suffering:
- What does heaven think about that?
Are we responding differently than heaven is responding?
Setting our mind on things above says that we are responding the way heaven is responding.
- Sometimes we don’t really respond that way
We respond out of our own pain, out of our own emotion, out of our own thought processes, out of our feeling of being insulted:
- How dare they do that to me?
- Who do they think they are?
This is not heavenly thinking.
What is heaven trying to accomplish by allowing certain things to happen to us?
That’s thinking ‘heavenly’.
And when we start thinking in that way, then what will happen is this:
- the things that are holding us back, that we are not even in touch with, will disappear.
There are many things holding us back that we are not in touch with – Those things will disappear.